Well Woman Care — Routine Health Care
You are always welcome to come for any of the following services to enable us to spend the most time on an issue that is important to you.
An annual well woman exam, including a pap smear and pelvic exam, is recommended by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) for patients starting at age 21. A get-to-know-you visit is also recommended around age 15.
A physical exam includes examination of the thyroid, heart, lungs, breasts, abdomen, skin, lymph system, and pelvic area (vulva, vagina, cervix, uterus, and ovaries). Please note that the exam is always done with continual feedback from you. If something is uncomfortable and needs to be adjusted or stopped, we always respect your wishes.
At a health maintenance or annual exam, after a thorough health history is taken, the following are commonly addressed depending on the woman’s needs according to concerns or age:
- Menstrual issues including PMS – click here to learn more about abnormal bleeding.
- Perimenopausal or menopausal concerns – click here for further information on peri/menopause.
- Sexually transmitted Infection (STI) screening – click here to learn more.
- Contraceptive / family planning needs – click here to learn more about our contraceptive services.
- Preconceptual care – click here to learn more.
- Lifestyle / habits – Nutrition, exercise, weight management and related issues, personal safety, smoking, including smoking cessation, alcohol, drug use, stress management, and mental health are all issues that can be addressed at WHC. Click here to learn more.
- Immunization needs:
- Gardasil (available from ages 11-26)
- TD or TDAP – Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis
- MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Varicella – Chicken Pox
- Hepatitis B
- TB or Tuberculin skin tests — available as needed.